9/19/2010

Koikawa Gekidan on August 19

I went down to Kiryu-za (led by Koikawa Junya) performances this evening.  Well, I feel very guilty about this as I have so much things to deal with (like concentrating in writing a paper).  Anyway, I could not help that (no excuse!).

The Taishu-engeki (traveling tropes)’s performances which lasts 3 hours consists of three parts: mini-show, play, grand-show.  Naturally, the play is most important part. Today’s play (I am sorry I missed the title) was new to me.  It was a kind of domestic plays which deals with the lives of common people. The plot is as follows: a carpenter named Tatsugoro has his first wife, who had been neglected the wifely duties, eloped with a man.  He is now remarried and lives happily with his new wife.  Unfortunately, his former wife’s father who does know nothing of what happened to the couple visits him.  Tatsugoro welcomes  his father-in-law, but does not dare to expose what happened to him and his former wife.  However while Tatsugoro and his new wife are away for shopping, one of is disciples comes to his house and tells the father the truth.  The father, who is very ashamed of his daughter, intends to go back home. Even though Tatsugoro and his wife come back and try to stop the father-in-law leave, he is going back home.

The dances in the mini-show and the grand-show are all new to me.  I realized how Junya focuses on this month’s performances.  The lightening was superb!!  The performances are all beyond the regular traveling troupes ones.  Their levels surpassed the category!  Anyway, I was so satisfied with the performances by Kiryu-za!

The following photo is of  Suzukawa Momoko, zacho's sister.


No comments:

Post a Comment