9/19/2010

Tatsumi Engeki Box led by Koizumi Tatsumi

I went to Fukui staying there for 2 days to watch the performances of Tasumi Engeki Box led by Koizumi Tatsumi (Zacho). I have been impressed by Zacho Tasumi’s performances not only in dances, but also in the plays. I saw them for the first time at Meiseiza in Osaka February last year. Then, I saw five plays and most of them were very good. I started to watch the traveling tropes then and I think I was very lucky to have the Koizumi trope as my initiation into the Taishu-engeki (the traveling tropes’ performing arts). 
Since last year I have seen more than 40 traveling tropes and am convinced that every trope has its excellences. My most favorite ones now are the Tsukushi Momotaro trope and the Koizumi Tasumi trope. In a sense they consist two extreme poles: one is very much of the Kamigata (Osaka) style, the other, of the Kushu style. As I am from the Kamigta (Osaka area), I naturally feel more rapport with the Kamigata than with the Kushu ones. 
Last month I saw Tatsumi Engeki Box’s performances 9 times and was very moved by some of Koizumi Tasumi’s performances. That is the reason why I went down to Fukui. I saw two plays: one is “Seki no gohonmatsu” (five pine trees in Seki), the other “Chimatsuri Kasa” (blood stained Kasa). Both are the usual based on the conflict between Giri and Ninjo (social duty vs. human feelings), still, Tatsumi prefabricated them into new versions (less heavy and sentimental ones). It really was his excellent skill to make them into the modern ones. 
As they will not have any chance to perform in Osaka area for more than six months, I have to give up watching their performances for a while. 

The following 3 photos are of Koizumi Tatsumi's dances: the first one, in male role, the latter two, in female impersonator.


No comments:

Post a Comment