9/19/2010

Taishu engeki (pop theater) in Japan

I am pretty sure that not so many people outside Japan know much about the Pop Theater (Taishu Engeki) in Japan.  It is also know as the traveling tropes, which originates in the Edo period around the beginning of 17th century just as Kabuki in Japan.  I had been a Kabuki go-er for more than ten years before I started watching this Taishu Engeki last year.  And suddenly it happened: I was so moved by their performances and had to switch my interest from Kabuki to Taishu Engeki. My Ph.D thesis is actually on the Japanese classical theater, but Kabuki, Noh, and Bunraku seemed to me too much institutionalized and have become rigid and therefore boring.

There are probably more than 200 tropes, but only 70 are entitled to get a place to perform (a theater or a so-called a “Health Center”- a kind of the Japanese inn- which has stages). They travel all around Japan every month (Can you believe it?!!!).  Compared to Kabuki which perform the same plays and dances for a month and very much patronized by the Japanese government and one of the most powerful patrons, Shochiku Company.  

So one of the main purposed for me to join this blog is to introduce the Taishu Engeki to this community.  I will upload pictures of their performances.

The following photos were taken at the performances by the Koikawa Gekidan, one of the most popular traveling troupes. 

Jun Koikawa, fukuzacho (second top of the troupe, 19 years old boy) playing Geisha.

Junya Koikawa, Zacho (the leader, male, 30 years old) is dancing to enka (Japanese traditional type of songs).



2 comments:

  1. It's really rare for Taishu Engeki to be known outside Japan. I'm glad someone like you posted this.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://japondesartsdotcom.wordpress.com/2018/12/13/gekidan-un-kabuki-populaire/
    Yes ,its unknow tresure of populare culture in Japan.
    I m know studing the history of Taishu and i will photography a troup next year.

    ReplyDelete